Protecting Your Roof from Storm Damage in New Jersey
New Jersey is no stranger to severe weather conditions, from hurricanes to heavy snowfall. These weather conditions can cause severe damage to your property, particularly your roof. Storm damage can be financially and physically exhausting, but there are steps you can take to protect your roof before and after the storm. Here are some useful tips to safeguard your roof from storm damage in New Jersey.
Prevention is always better than repair. Here are some measures you can take to prevent storm damage to your roof:
- Get a Roof Inspection: Hire a professional roofing contractor to inspect your roof for any pre-existing damage. This will enable you to spot potential problems that you may need to address before the storms roll in.
- Trim Your Trees: Falling trees and branches are one of the leading causes of roof damage during a storm. Trim any trees close to your roof and those that look as though they could potentially fall onto your roof if struck by wind.
- Clean Your Gutters: Ensure that your gutters are clean, free of debris, and fully functional before the storm hits. This will reduce the chances of your gutters becoming clogged during a storm, which can cause water to overflow and spill onto your roof.
- Install Storm Shutters: Install storm shutters to protect your windows from large hailstones and any other debris picked up by strong winds in severe storms.
During the Storm
During a storm, it is essential to take safety precautions to ensure that everyone in your home is safe. If, however, you notice any damage to your roof during the storm, follow these tips:
- Keep Yourself Safe: Ensure you keep yourself and your family safe by staying indoors and away from windows. If you need to venture outside, be aware of any downed power lines and stay away from them.
- Document Any Damage: If you can safely do so, take photographs or videos of any roof damage from the ground. This documentation will help during the insurance claims process.
- Don’t Attempt a Repair: Never try to repair any roof damage during a storm. Wait until the storm has passed and hire a professional roofing contractor to assess and fix any damage.
After the Storm
After the storm, it’s vital to assess your roof carefully for any damage. Here are some steps you can take:
- Check For Damage: Check the roof from the ground for any visible signs of damage, including missing or cracked shingles, dents, and punctures. If you notice any leaks, don’t wait to call a roofing contractor for inspection and repair.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Call your insurance company and report any damage to your roof to initiate the claims process. Provide them with any documentation you have collected, including videos and pictures.
- Hire a Professional Roofer: Hire a licensed roofing contractor to assess any damage to your roof and provide you with an estimate for repairs. Never attempt to fix any storm damage on your own, as it can be dangerous and lead to further damage to your property.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How long should I wait before filing a claim after storm damage to my roof?
It is essential to report any damage to your roof as soon as possible to your insurance company. Delaying the process could mean missing out on the chance to get coverage for the repairs you need.
Q: Will my homeowners’ insurance cover storm damage to my roof?
Many homeowners’ insurance policies cover damage incurred during severe weather conditions. However, coverage varies from policy to policy. Contact your insurance provider to check your coverage and initiate the claims process.
Q: How much does it cost to repair storm damage to a roof?
The cost of repairing storm damage to a roof varies depending on the extent of the damage, the type of repair required, and the roofing contractor you hire. Contact a licensed roofing contractor for an estimate of repair costs.
Preparation is key to protecting your roof from storm damage in New Jersey. By taking preventive measures before the storms roll in and avoiding attempting any repairs on your own, you’ll be able to safeguard your property and stay safe during the storm. If a storm does cause damage to your roof, take measures to document it immediately and reach out to your insurance company and a licensed roofing contractor for a fast and efficient repair process.